Sunday, October 9, 2011

'Dream House' : A Review



Directed by: Jim Sheridan




Sure, I was in a theater containing some of the most inconsiderate movie-goers in the history of cinema (a family with a cranky infant, a woman on her speakerphone, and idiot chatterbox teens) and yes, the "big surprise" of the film was easily assumed by myself and my movie pal early on.
But that did not keep me from enjoying Dream House, thanks to nice depth behind the predictable surprise and an excellent cast fronted by Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts.

Craig plays Will Atenton, a writer who finally decides to break free of the corporate grind to spend more time with his beautiful wife Libby (Weisz) and their two young daughters, while also working on a novel.

When the new home they inhabit and begin to renovate starts showing its dark scars from the past, the family is forced to realize not everything is as it seems.

Watts plays Ann Patterson, the pivotal neighbor who gets caught up in the haunted house story before too long.

If you're looking for a haunted house film the likes of 'Insidious', you're probably going to want to pass on this one.

Director Jim Sheridan, who also helmed 'Brothers' (one of my favorite all-time dramas), does an excellent job of securing a solid atmosphere and emotional connection throughout the film and this is why I liked the film as much as I did.

Overall, I enjoyed the film and would recommend it to those looking for a psychological drama.
Houses aren't the only things that can be haunted.

My rating:  7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment