Sunday, September 11, 2011

'HEARTLESS': Film Review


FILM REVIEW:
"HEARTLESS"
(2009, directed by Philip Ridley)

I cannot say enough about one of my favorite films of the last five years.
It's a true horror film, packed with emotional and psychological sucker punches, that left me contemplating what I had seen for days afterward.
Jim Sturgess ('Across The Universe') went all but unacknowledged for his role as Jamie Morgan, a reclusive young man from London who was born with a large heart-shaped birthmark on his face. It's almost criminal how little fanfare this film and Sturgess, in particular, has received.

Jamie's life is torn apart when he suffers a gaping loss in his personal life and proceeds to lose, lose and lose- we see the young man spiral out of control from talented shut-in to tormented murderer, until he finally earns his just rewards. I won't lie- I got a little choked up at the end of the film.

Joseph Mawle is fantastic as Papa B, the representative of pure evil in the film.

Director Philip Ridley is an incredible mastermind behind the camera and his plunge into the dark fantasy/horror tale is nothing short of mesmerizing. 'Heartless' touches on a number of issues, including social commentary, love, good vs. evil, and one's inner plight to understand the world in which they live in.

Having acquired this film for $2 at the local video store, it's safe to say I got quite the steal.
I highly recommend this film and only hope to see much more from Ridley in the coming years.

Grade: 9/10

1 comment:

  1. I watched Heartless a couple of months back and it stuck with me too, pretty cool film.


    Shine a Light Cinematography

    ReplyDelete